Thursday, February 3, 2011

More fish die in the Mara...

We've been getting some emails from friends in the Mara River Basin that tell us a large fish die-off has just occurred in and around the Masai Mara National Reserve.

You may remember that we have previously documented several large fish die-offs in the Mara River over the last few years and we blogged about one in 2009.  The exact causes of this annual event remains elusive...but I aim to shed some light on it with my upcoming research.

This coming summer I will be conducting research that I've entitled, "Sediment fingerprinting in the Mara River Basin: Uncovering relationships between wildebeest, tourism, and non-point source pollution."  I plan on looking at the sources of sediment and non-point source pollution within the protected areas (between Emarti and the lower Mara bridge).  More on this to come soon...

In the meantime, here is a quick round-up of several other massive fish die-offs that have occurred recently in other systems:
Keep an eye on the Mara Triangle Twitter feed for up-to-date info on the current Mara River fish die-off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am interested in taking part in the study.
You can get me through kipkurui.tonny@gmail.com

Kipkurui Tonny
Moi University

Unknown said...

Hi Kipkurui,

Thanks for your interest. I'll send you an email.

Kari said...

Hi researchers. My name is Kari and I am a graduate student at Michigan State. I got referred to you by a friend (a grad student of Kay Holekamp's at MSU) and was wondering if I could ask you some questions and get some advice about my dissertation research. My email is sharklady1520@gmail.com. Thanks! :)